Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Prison Break

One of those series that I had reserved to watch during the holidays. For when my brother introduced me to Heroes during the middle of the semester, I got so hooked into it that I couldn't concentrate on anything else. Watching these series makes you wonder why they don't make such series in India. They've shamelessly copied all the reality shows from the West, but when it comes to fiction, they stop with the soppy saas-bahus and mega-serials. But you can't blame them for the absence of creative story-tellers, for if there were good ones, first the movies here would be far better.

I've just finished watching season 1 of Prison Break and I can't wait till this weekend to get the next season from my friend. What I like more about Prison Break than Heroes was that the characters were normal without any extra-ordinary powers. When I saw heroes, I though that it should require some grandiose imaginations like these to make a thriller of a series. But Prison Break proved that it was possible to make a better thriller with just human characters. Making an intelligent storyline not only ensures an interesting watch but also fills the viewers with self-pride when they realize that the director has not underestimated their tastes.

Michael Scofield's character is inspirational and the way he comes up with his ingenius ideas to get things done makes you wonder if anyone can actually be that intelligent. But Paul Scheuring who has come up with the entire thing has to be. Having the entire plot in hand before starting to narrate is the most important quality of a good story-teller. This is something our story-writers have to learn from the Westerners if they want to produce great thrillers.

I had a vague idea of the story before i set out to watch it. But I wondered how breaking out of a prison could be made into a 22 episode series and then into more seasons that would also be entertaining to watch throughout. If you have the same doubt watch it and you will not regret it.

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM , Blogger Vijay Chidambaram said...

Prison Break rocks! Heroes is pretty good too - both amazing thrillers

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home